Talk by Naomi Wolf - The End of America
This is a really long video (47 minutes ). But you simply can't NOT watch this... Not if you want to really get the picture of what is happening here in our country.
It has to do with our country, and the demise of democracy.
I'm normally not political here, but this simply must be heard. This Scholar is simply spot on about what our society is suffering.
Windrider....
Comments
Powerful words. Well-based talk. Interesting delineation. Funny, I though the title of the direction we were heading was "theocracy" judging from how the only true issue of choosing political leaders seems to be their stance on abortion; nothing else seems to matter.
And isn't that what our forefathers came to this land to escape in the first place?
Thank you for the great brainfood this morning, Windrider.
You know, I also thought that theocracy was our destination as well before hearing this. Needless to say I was stunned after first hearing this.
I have always been subscriber to my fathers philosophy that "those who don't know their past are doomed to repeat it" and it really is true. The "ten steps" Ms. Wolf described are very, very, real. and existed not only in Germany, Italy, and China.. These steps were also carried out to the letter in Cambodia under Pol Pot, and Idi Amin Dada in Uganda with horrific results, the worst being the killing fields and eradication of 2 million people who were percieved as threats to the Khmer Rouge.
It is rather chilling to sit and really examine the happenings in this country since 9/11/01 in regards to constitutional rights, and how dangerously close to the point of no return we really are in regards to personal freedom, and free thinking in our own country.
Windrider
I remember pre-9/11, living in Sweden as the only Americans with a huge group of multi-nationality citizens (everywhere from Malawi to Malasia) and the "Curious George" email went out, joking about how W. can look so monkey-esque. The comments that abounded from my friends had nothing to do with the humor of the joke; instead, reactions all revolved around the fact that we, as Americans, had the ability to make a joke about our President without fear of being locked up, sent into exile or killed for it.
I have never forgotten the sobering effect those words had on me, and wonder how different things are now in this post 9/11 world.
The parallels drawn to the past are frighteningly real and terrifying. I have passed this on to other friends already this morning...education is the first step.
Happy Sunday, Windrider. I hope you have a relaxing one!
The word needs to get out.
"Each One, Teach One.."
Maybe we can turn this boat around before it's too late.
Have a great Sunday as well. I'm sure that I'll just be a big, lazy, waste of humanity... ( full of vodka )
Windrider
Now i need a drink.