I'm a Grumpy Old Fart...

I don't know when, or how it happened but somewhere along the way in the last 10 years I have become a grumpy old fart....

I guess I just think differently than a lot of people out there in the world. Especially when it comes to etiquette, manners, and workplace behavior. Call me strange, but I know who Emily Post is.. And no, I don't think she makes breakfast cereal...

Times have certainly changed in this country, and sadly not for the better. People just act, and do pretty much whatever in the hell they want to now a days and think nothing of it. In fact, if you are the offended party and voice your displeasure more of than than not, YOU are the one ridiculed.

Be that as it may, there are some things that just rub me the wrong way and always will. It is not my fault that you were raised by a pack of monkeys, nor should I be expected to tolerate that low brow behavior of yours.

Such as:

  • chewing with your mouth open, smacking your lips, or belching when you eat.
  • picking your nose, or hacking up phlegm and spitting it on the sidewalk, or in a wastebasket.
  • grabbing, rearranging, or scratching your ass or genitals.
  • breast feeding.. I don't give a shit if you think it is the most beautiful, natural thing in the world, Put that damn titty away! ( go somewhere private to do that!! this isn't The Blue Lagoon, and you aren't Brooke Shields.)
  • the changing of ANY child's diaper other than in a restroom. (this should be illegal, really )
  • over the top public displays of affection.
  • eating food while shopping at the grocery store. (What, are you homeless? )
  • talking loudly on a cell phone ANYWHERE.
  • young teenage girls dressing like prostitutes
  • young teenage boys dressing like gangbangers. ( and you wonder why you get attention from the police?)
  • cars with screamingly loud mufflers. ( it's a 4 cylinder Honda, not a Ferrari Junior.. )
  • obnoxiously loud stereo systems. ( I see a hearing aid in your future )
  • people who do everything other than drive the car while driving.
  • motorcycle drivers who drive in between cars. ( asphalt hurts, but it cures "stupid")
  • drivers who see a line and rather than get in it at the rear, race up to the front and expect to be let in.
  • don't take screaming children out of theaters, or restaurants. I love the noise, really..
  • parents who don't discipline/control their children. ( spanking good, time out bad.. nuff said )
  • dragging your personal drama into the workplace.
  • showing up late, and making a million excuses as to why. (Psst!! that works the first 2 times, not 200 times!!)
  • constantly interrupting me or talking over me.
  • I get it.. You found someone who actually has sex with you! Keep the details to yourself.
  • You'll use the word "fuck" as an adjective, or punctuation mark, but "thank you", "Please", and "excuse me" are somehow taboo on your planet?
  • cutting in line
  • making a scene/fighting in public.
  • littering
  • stirring up trouble to get your kicks, and harming others in the process.
  • taking credit for work you didn't do AKA "stealing someones thunder".

Sigh, I could go on and on... Suffice it to say that it really seems like the core values of our society have eroded, and we are returning to a caveman mentality. Its really sad.

It makes me grateful for how my mother and father raised me, to be honest. Adults were referred to as "sir", or "Ma'am". Automatic respect was given to them as they were adults, and we were not. We were taught from the time we were toddlers how to properly use cutlery at a dinner table, speak appropriately, and be well received by others. We read books, we played outside, and were taught breaking the rules carried with it not only penalties, but a loss of honor as well. We were disciplined when we did wrong, and praised when we did well. We knew our place.. I guess the long and short of it is that we grew up with a sense of right and wrong. Certain things just weren't said or done, because it wasnt right to do so.

I don't see that now. Not with any regularity, anyhow. It makes me concerned for our society as a whole.

Comments

Mama Llama said…
Good morning, Windrider:

I am very much in agreement with you on so many issues...ESPECIALLY on those having to do with the raising of children correctly, probably since I'm in the midst of that right now.

Parents cannot discipline their children in public because they are presumed to be child abusers and Children's Services will be called. Our society is morphing into one in which the children are ruling and the adults are bowing to their every whim, and society is permitting this to occur. My "critiquing the mamacita" post from a while back harps a bit on that.

While I was a breast-feeding mother back in the day, I understood that there is certain discretion and common sense of when and when not appropriate to nurse. That line is very crossed, and it is insensitive for mothers to believe they can, within our cultural context, just "whip it out" wherever they well please. We don't live in "most other countries" where such action might be viewed as acceptable. We must operate within our cultural contexts.

You had me rolling. This was a good post. I don't feel, however, that this makes you a grumpy old jiji. There is a lot of reflection of incredulance due to the absurdity of that which we see daily anymore, and the lack of respect on a purely human level that makes some of us wonder exactly in what direction we must be heading.

Thank you for your thoughts, Windrider. Be well.
Windrider said…
Hello Princesa,

Thank you for stopping by.

Yes, the issue of parental control over children ( or lack thereof ) is a big one with me. I practically have epileptic fits when I see childern "running" their parents. We have become so politically correct and wimpy that you are correct, parents are afraid to spank their children.

what a shame..

I had copious amounts of spankings as a child and I truly believe that if I hadn't I would have grown up much differently than I did. This "soft serve" parenting will be the ruin of us all, believe me.

The shame is that these same parents are the ones who actually look shocked when the media asks them why little jimmy went on a shooting spree at his school.

But, I digress..

I guess I'm just shocked as to how far , and how quickly we as a society have slipped from the "norm" of yesteryear. It seems as if it has almost happened overnight. Rather than being a community, we have befome a gathering of sefish individuals hell bent to get one over on the next guy.

Its "me first!" rather than "after you", and "get out of my way" rather than "pardon me". And I can see the affects of this mentality rapidly infecting our daily lives..

Glad I could make you smile. I aim to please!!

Peace
Mama Llama said…
Hello, Windrider:

It's hard raising kids right, too. I get a lot of comments about the good manners my children have. Thank God. But I have scared the fear of God into them...I have a right to. If they do not fear their mother, then what do I have on them? This does not mean I have to be Super-B**ch all the time, but when necessary, it's necessary. I wish I could say I'm doing everything right. One of my greatest fears is failing as a mother. But I can only do my best and hope that they turn out well.

And sometimes, you are soooooo right, it seems a losing battle.

Have a great ....no, wait, it's not Friday yet...Thursday. Geez, I'm a day ahead. What a looooong week.

--mp
Windrider said…
Hello My Princess!

It sounds like you are doing a CAPITAL job of teaching your little ones how to act.. Really..

More parents should be emulating you. I think that is the key. That may very well be what turns this modern Titanic away from the iceberg looming on our societal horizon. (before we all join the "polar bear club" wheather we want to be in it, or not.)

So many parents simply let DirecTV, HBO, MTV, and anything else shown on the "God Box" become the surrogate parent while they do what they want/have to do to get by. This is disaster in the making.

You and I are only a year or so apart in age. But, when we were in our formulative years there were intellectuals that surrounded us, mentored us, taught us, and exposed us to the classics.

Homer, and the Oddesy..

NOT "Homey and the Escalade"

Emerson, not Eminem.

And on, and on, and on.

Somewhere, while we weren't looking, or listening, or paying attention, something broke.. And I mean really, really, broke...

And we now have 1, possibly 2 generations that are intellectually bankrupt. They were short changed by us lowering standards on exams so everyone could "pass". We included everyone in the category of "gifted and talented" .. in short:

We sold out. period.




Ummmm...

Holy Crap, let me just step down of my soapbox for a second!

Ahem..

(stares at his feet)


On a serious note:

I love your blog! Welcome to my links!
Mama Llama said…
Hello, Windrider:

Soapbox? Puh-leeze. It is your blog, after all!

So true, each word. And another reason why I left teaching in an institution. I could no longer be threatened by spoiled students so long accustomed to getting everything they want on a silver platter who weren't happy with the grade I would "give" them or the fact that I wouldn't cancel classes that other profs would previous to holidays. I could no longer wonder each night, as I made my way back to the faculty parking lot at 10:15 pm, if I needed police escort. In the wake of the VT shootings last year (in-state for where I am now) I often wonder, "what if I had said the wrong thing on the day (insert student's name here) did not take his/her meds?" Meds...well, that's another gripe for another day, perhaps. Funny, though, that this never occurred before moving to and teaching on the East Coast...

Suffice it to say I'm not happy having given up as a damn good educator in the public system (which the system lacks and desperately needs)(and it's not ego, I am good), but at least I feel more secure. I have two little monkeys. I need to be selfish for them.

So we'll just call this Soapbox Central and have at it! Did you ever know Pandora could have such a huge Box? ;)

Be well, Windrider. Happy Friday to you.
Mama Llama said…
Good morning, Windrider:

I am passing by to extend Christmas Blessings to you. May you have a joyous Christmas filled with health, laughter, joy, love and peace.

Be well! Merry Christmas.
Windrider said…
Hi Princess!

And to you and yours as well!