Everglades Hawk



This is a shot I took last Thursday out in the Everglades on my boat. I was actually quite shocked to get this one..

I was about 7 miles away from the dock, going very slowly down a canal I looked and saw this mother hawk sitting on a nest. Apparently she is sitting on eggs, as I couldn't see any young ones. Normally these predatory birds are very shy, and don't nest where people are.

Granted this nest is miles from civilization and only accessible by boat, but she was right on the water. It was a rare find. I idled my boat over near her and used a 70-300mm lens to get this shot. She flew off about 20 yards and returned once I shut off the motor and remained motionless. I took only a few shots ( this one being the best of the bunch ) and let the current drift me back and allow her to settle in.

I was worried she would become over stressed and retreat farther away possibly allowing other birds to come and pillage the nest of the eggs. I'm going to head back out in the next few days and check on her.. I would love to get photos of the young ones when they hatch.

By the Way, full credit goes out to Lakota Princess for cropping this photo. The Lady has talent!

Comments

Mama Llama said…
Just beautiful. What a place. I would love to visit.

Thanks for sharing, Windy.
Windrider said…
Thanks mapi,

I need to crop and edit some other ones I shot that day.

Lakota Princess cropped this one for me from my original photo. I have to give her full credit for the layout.

It really is a magical place.. Dangerous, but magical.. I was actually looking for alligators that day because it was chilly, but it wound up being "Bird Day".

I'm going to try to see if I can get photos of the young ones in a few weeks.
yellowdoggranny said…
I've always wanted to visit the everglades..what a incredible experience...she's a beaut..
L.P. said…
soooooo pretty and pushaw on the cropping - weren't no thang, Wobbly-bear. All the credit goes to your shooting skill. Can't make a silk purse out of a hawk's ear...
or somethin'.

i can't wait for you to take more! That odd looking bird was fabo as well. Post that one too please!
Windrider said…
well, if any of you lovely ladies are ever down here I'll treat you to an all expenses paid tour of my little corner of the Glades.

And Kota, you DO deserve credit for the cropping job, M'kay?

Popular Posts