Valentines Day

Well, it's valentines day..

To those of you celebrating it this year, good for you.. Enjoy it.

To those of you who aren't celebrating it. I can sympathize..

I've always had an odd feeling about the holiday myself. It seems that it's nothing but one giant attempt to get people to spend money on each other in an attempt to show thier love for one another.

Hey, just put the baby jesus into the whole schpeel and it would be Christmas, wouldn't it? I enjoy the sentiment, but it also pisses me off as well. As a man, I'm expected to pull out all the stops, "go to Jared" or "Kay Jewelers" or any of the myriad of fuckers hawking cheap blood diamonds and lay down at least half a grand on some overpriced trinket. Then, pay 5 times the going rate for roses, and then spend 50 or so on chocolates, and then a couple of hundred for dinner somewhere.. My Gay or Lesbian brothers and sisters aren't immune from it either... We ALL get sucked into it no matter what our preference in sex, or skin color..

Two words: Fuck That...

I know this will limit my desireablility with the ladies but thats really, precisely how I feel after years and years of succumbing to the societal pressure and doing it. Never Again... It means nothing...

Valentines day is a cheap, emotional cop out if you really wanna know the truth. It's a way to make for being an emotionally unavailable prick/bitch most of the year. You get to really shine it on and make up for ( buy your way out of, is more like it ) all those time you were indifferent, cold, too busy, or just plain couldn't be bothered to be loving towards your partner..

It's sort of a "Here Honey! This thing that took me 5 minutes to buy should make you feel like I really love you!" See, valentines day is an obligation... NOT something you do because all of the sudden you were overwealmed with love and all the sudden wanted to show it to your partner.. No, it's no different than having to pay your taxes, and to a lot of people thats exactly how it feels..

Just imagine how many people are out there running up credit card bills to finance these elaborate gifts and dinners. Spending money they don't have to show someone else that they love them with grandiose displays of materialism. What nonsense...

I have an idea.. How about if you DO have someone special in your life that you show them how much they mean to you as best you can on a continuous basis?! What a concept.. Why not do that, and let them know that you love, and care for them all the time not just on one day in February? It would make things run a lot smoother trust me.

I'm alone this year. But I'm alright with that. I don't need another person in my life for me to feel that I'm a whole human being. I'm not going to lie and say I'm happy being alone, but thats just the way it is. I get to see it from the outside of the window looking in. Nothing wrong with that.. I'm getting to know myself very thoroughly, and learning to define myself, rather than having someone else do it. It's just the trail I'm walking right now, and I really don't mind it.

Someday I'm sure I'll have someone to wrap my arms around again. To nibble on her ear, hold hands, and love on. And I'll tell you something, when I do, she'll know it all the time... Not just on Valentines day.

Anybody know a Rich, Orphaned, Supermodel, that owns a chain of Liquor stores that's looking for a date?

I'm Kidding..

Ahem...

Comments

Mama Llama said…
1. You are right.

2. You are right.

3. Did I mention you are right?

4. You rock.

5. I, much like you, believe in demonstrating my love on a daily basis and not when obligation dictates. V-day used to be only really a children's holiday. I see nothing wrong with that, especially in the joy mine receive in learning that others actually care enough to give them candy. It's good, especially for the younger monkeys, to learn that life is not only about oneself.

And, of course, an excuse for yet another pah-tee in school.

My children's Valentine to me? The same I get each and every day--HUGS and KISSES when they wake up in the morning.

Now THAT is a Valentine.

Be well, Windy.
yellowdoggranny said…
i agree...women would rather the guy did thoughtful little things all year long than the flowers candy on valentines day...hmm, come to west, texas..i'll fix you up with some nice little czech girl..
Mama Llama said…
Oh, and I have a GORGEOUS, blonde, smart, nice breasts (yes, of course I notice) Russian girl (speaks perfect English, too...better than mine! --ugh) in my evening class now--now I know why all my married friends' good looking single buddies seek me out:

I have the connections.

Used and abused, I tell ya. Sometimes it sucks to be me. But I'm good at fixing others up.
Curtis said…
Amen!
Windrider said…
LOL!

Mapi- Why thank you! I'm glad you agree. I just see the folly in the whole thing. It's all commercial nonsense thses days.

Granny- I'd love to head out to west texas if I could only find a job that pays what mine does.. Terlingua, or alpine sound nice to me.

Curt- ((( big hug my brother ))) We need to have that drink sometime.

Man, I'm fine this holiday.. And I'm thankful for the kind offers. But, I'm better off alone right now.

I have my alligators to keep me warm..
L.P. said…
Dude! I've told you - it's tacky to walk around wearing your gator skin in public! Now in private... that's a different matter... ~LOL~

Happy belated I Heart You day.
Blandy Snorhal said…
I like Valentine's Day because my birthday is 8 days later, which means I can score lots of cheap chocolate after V-Day for my birthday party loot bags!

Popular Posts