I think i watched someone die this morning....

God, If I never see another human being in an accident, I'll be happier than you can ever imagine..
I woke up around 0530 and just couldn't get back to sleep no matter how hard I tried. I hoisted myself from the bed and stumbled into the kitchen to make a cup of instant coffee. ( I don't brew a pot unless its more than me in the place )
I went to the computer and checked the news, then turned on the tv and tried to see what CNN was chirping this morning. It was all the same babble, so I decided to run out and grab some fresh breakfast.
I showered quickly, threw on some clean clothes and headed to the jeep. I ran down to one of the few places thats open this time of the day.
I sat and had an omelet, potatoes, coffee, toast, and read a panel of the local paper while I dined.. I paid for my tab and headed out to go back to my apartment. I strapped in, fired up, and drove towards what I was hoping was to be a good nap once I got home....
I was at the second to the last stop light prior to the turn off for my apartment, waiting for the light to change. There was an SUV beside me. I thought nothing of it and fiddled with the presets.
The light changed, and the SUV besides me lurched into the intersection. Before I could blink the vehichle was broadsided by a diesel pickup. I just remember seeing a grey streak hit the SUV, and one hell of a roar of an impact. Everything went into slow motion. I saw parts peel off of both vehicles, glass shatter, spinning, twisting, and grass and plants being flung into the sky.
I braced for a fireball, or explosion. Nothing.. just quiet, and the tinkling of tiny plastic parts..
I felt like I was wrapped in a glue trap. I dialed 911 and told the operator what had happened and our location. I don't remember walking to the wreckage but I was there, looking at the scene . The driver of the truck was laying on the grass and moving around. A couple had come to his aid and were attending to him.
The SUV had no activity in it. I didn't see anyone arrive on scene, but apparently they did, and I just walked back to where my car was.
I watched as they headed to the window of the SUV, looked inside, and after a few minutes, covered it with a yellow slicker. The driver of the truck seemed to be somewhat injured, but the SUV was a torn up mess.
I provided all the information requested, and climbed into my car and headed home. There seemed to be a million cops there by the time I left.
I'm still processing what I've seen.
If I'd been in a hurry, it would have been me. My mom and dad would have been identifying a body . Shit, on a Sunday morning after eating an omelet and reading the paper......
Jesus..........................
Comments