A little compliment goes a long way..
It never ceases to amaze me at how I can go from glum to happy with a compliment thrown my way.
I was standing in line to pick up some lunch when a guy I used to work with commented that I was losing weight. I was pleasantly shocked, as this man is not the compliment giving type. I thanked him for what he said and told him that I was trying to shed the pounds that I gained so damned quickly after I quit smoking last year. He said the he was also trying to drop a few as well on the advice of his doctor. Better for the heart and all that..
We said our goodbyes and I headed back to my office feeling alot happier than I had a few moments before. It made me feel good that someone noticed something about me that was positive, and mentioned it to me. Once I was back in my office I sat and thought about it some more.
Positive reinforcement/compliments are such powerful things and sadly we simply don't utilize them with others as often as we should. It can make such a difference in how someone feels about themselves, and their overall outlook on life.
A kind word, or a little pat on the back can really boost someones happiness level quite a bit. I was shocked at how much brighter it made my day. And it made me be more complimentary to others around me. Hopefully they felt the same way I did.
Our lives move at such a rapid pace these days, I know mine does. We get so caught up in the mechanics of out everyday lives, and making a living that we don't even realize how negative we all really have become. Rush hour traffic, high prices at the store, overcrowded offices, all that stuff adds up to an almost invisible cloak of depression that wraps around us. Why else are we seeing so much road rage, violence, and hostility in our world today?
A lot of us are running around at 80 miles an hour all the time. We cram our lives as full as we can, scheduling this, and trying to be on time for that, and for what? All we wind up being is hypertensive, and self centered... We're constantly taking on adversarial roles. Its a drag...
I think I'm going to try to practice slowing down and looking around me more often. I want to focus on the good, and happy things that go on around me. I want to be a little more forthcoming with compliments for others.
If we all did that a little more maybe the world would be a better place.
be well...
I was standing in line to pick up some lunch when a guy I used to work with commented that I was losing weight. I was pleasantly shocked, as this man is not the compliment giving type. I thanked him for what he said and told him that I was trying to shed the pounds that I gained so damned quickly after I quit smoking last year. He said the he was also trying to drop a few as well on the advice of his doctor. Better for the heart and all that..
We said our goodbyes and I headed back to my office feeling alot happier than I had a few moments before. It made me feel good that someone noticed something about me that was positive, and mentioned it to me. Once I was back in my office I sat and thought about it some more.
Positive reinforcement/compliments are such powerful things and sadly we simply don't utilize them with others as often as we should. It can make such a difference in how someone feels about themselves, and their overall outlook on life.
A kind word, or a little pat on the back can really boost someones happiness level quite a bit. I was shocked at how much brighter it made my day. And it made me be more complimentary to others around me. Hopefully they felt the same way I did.
Our lives move at such a rapid pace these days, I know mine does. We get so caught up in the mechanics of out everyday lives, and making a living that we don't even realize how negative we all really have become. Rush hour traffic, high prices at the store, overcrowded offices, all that stuff adds up to an almost invisible cloak of depression that wraps around us. Why else are we seeing so much road rage, violence, and hostility in our world today?
A lot of us are running around at 80 miles an hour all the time. We cram our lives as full as we can, scheduling this, and trying to be on time for that, and for what? All we wind up being is hypertensive, and self centered... We're constantly taking on adversarial roles. Its a drag...
I think I'm going to try to practice slowing down and looking around me more often. I want to focus on the good, and happy things that go on around me. I want to be a little more forthcoming with compliments for others.
If we all did that a little more maybe the world would be a better place.
be well...
Comments