A hard days night....


I guess I've sort of given up on having a normal sleep schedule these days. Last night was a perfect example of this. It was however completely my fault entirely. A classic case of "raging dumbass".. Allow me to explain, gentle readers..
When I arrived home yesterday afternoon there was a UPS box waiting for me at my door. I had my arms full of stuff and through a rather good balancing act, I managed to get my keys out and unlock the door. I head inside and open my package, play on the computer, and eat some dinner. I was absolutely exhausted from the "quick turn around" from the night before where I had left work at 10pm and had to return at 530 am...
Around 7pm I realize that I can barely keep my eyes open and decide to hit the sack. I was actually proud of myself, realizing that I would be able to sleep 9 hours, and that I was being responsible. I turned on my bedside fan, ( I cannot sleep without air blowing on me and some white noise, period ) got some fresh water and placed it on my night stand, and crawled in to my soft bed, and pulled my beloved comforter around me. I was out like a light almost before my head hit the pillow.. Bliss..... I needed this sleep, my metal rhythm needed to be reset... Ahhh...
I am startled out of a deep, deep, sleep at around 1030pm. My room is completely dark, and all I can hear is someone beating on what sounds to be a window of my apartment! It's so fucking loud It sounds like the window is going to break! My heart rate skyrockets instantaneously, and I fly out of the bed thinking someone may be trying to break into the joint. I hurry to the peep hole on the front door to see if I can get a fix on who is out there before I make a decision to retrieve a firearm or not. I scan the area in front of the door and theres no one there.. Cautiously, I open the door for a quick look to the left and right. I see my elderly neighbor talking to another neighbor.
"I've been knocking on your door since 8 o'clock!" he exclaims.
"I've been crashed since 7! I have to get up at 4am!" I (sort of) snapped back
"you left your keys in your door lock." he tells me
"umm, thanks.." I reply feeling the anger suddenly subside, and a bit embarrassed.
I went back inside and locked the door. I felt bad at snapping at my neighbor, and will make sure to apologize to him the next time I see him but I was pretty freaked out having just thought someone was breaking in. And I don't know too many people who enjoy going from a deep sleep, to a "fight or flight" physiological state in under 5 seconds.
Well, you can just imagine how much sleep I got for the rest of the night.
That's right, none..
And just think, I get the distinct pleasure of getting off at 2pm and get to come back at 10pm tonight for another shift..
So, guess what I'll be doing this weekend again? That's right, sleeping...

Comments

Popular Posts