Memorial Day
Thank heaven for the power of modern pharmaceuticals, that's all I've gotta say...
I'm starting to feel better but I'm sure it will be a week or more before I'm back up to full speed. I'm glad I had the common sense to go to a doctor when I did. The combination of the bronchitis with the wet, humid weather were the prime recipe for disaster had I waited it out. So while getting out and doing a whole bunch of outdoor activities while I was here didn't pan out, I won't have to take sick leave when I get home..
Today, I'm loading up some .45 acp 185 grain Golden Sabre JHP (jacketed hollow points, for you non-gun folks) rounds on Dad's reloading press. I want to load 100 rounds and give them to my team mate as a thank you gift for taking me to and from the airport. He's new to reloading and will be thrilled to fire them in his new Glock he bought as a personal carry weapon. In fact, he's asked me to give him some tactical training, and teach him to reload various calibers of shells. He's a nice kid, and I told him I'd be happy to. It will be fun to play the role of firearms instructor again. I really enjoy doing it.
Yesterday my mother and I went to the cemetery to visit the graves of my Grandparents and uncles who are interred there. All but one of them are encrypted in a large mausoleum made entirely of marble. Hundreds of remains are resting in that somber, yet beautiful place. I couldn't help but notice the places where military veterans were identified by a service symbol under their name, and silently paid respect for their sacrifice as we silently walked the long halls of the building.
Outside, as we walked across a beautiful sloping field, carefully manicured and shaded by mature South Texas oaks I noticed a military burial marker and paused to inspect it. It was the final resting place of an Army Colonel who had served in World Wars 1 and 2 , as well as Korea before passing away in the late 70's. I silently came to attention, and gently saluted, thanking him for his service. My mother watched as I did this, and stood silently with watering eyes. She never asked why I had rendered honors, but then again she didn't have to having been married to a fighter pilot since 1957. We returned to the much welcomed air conditioning of the car and headed home.
The rest of the day was good. Mom, Dad and I sat and had sundowners and grilled some hamburgers buy the pool. The rest of the night was filled with the retelling of tales from the past, laughing, and smiles...
I miss this place, I need to get back here permanently..
I'm starting to feel better but I'm sure it will be a week or more before I'm back up to full speed. I'm glad I had the common sense to go to a doctor when I did. The combination of the bronchitis with the wet, humid weather were the prime recipe for disaster had I waited it out. So while getting out and doing a whole bunch of outdoor activities while I was here didn't pan out, I won't have to take sick leave when I get home..
Today, I'm loading up some .45 acp 185 grain Golden Sabre JHP (jacketed hollow points, for you non-gun folks) rounds on Dad's reloading press. I want to load 100 rounds and give them to my team mate as a thank you gift for taking me to and from the airport. He's new to reloading and will be thrilled to fire them in his new Glock he bought as a personal carry weapon. In fact, he's asked me to give him some tactical training, and teach him to reload various calibers of shells. He's a nice kid, and I told him I'd be happy to. It will be fun to play the role of firearms instructor again. I really enjoy doing it.
Yesterday my mother and I went to the cemetery to visit the graves of my Grandparents and uncles who are interred there. All but one of them are encrypted in a large mausoleum made entirely of marble. Hundreds of remains are resting in that somber, yet beautiful place. I couldn't help but notice the places where military veterans were identified by a service symbol under their name, and silently paid respect for their sacrifice as we silently walked the long halls of the building.
Outside, as we walked across a beautiful sloping field, carefully manicured and shaded by mature South Texas oaks I noticed a military burial marker and paused to inspect it. It was the final resting place of an Army Colonel who had served in World Wars 1 and 2 , as well as Korea before passing away in the late 70's. I silently came to attention, and gently saluted, thanking him for his service. My mother watched as I did this, and stood silently with watering eyes. She never asked why I had rendered honors, but then again she didn't have to having been married to a fighter pilot since 1957. We returned to the much welcomed air conditioning of the car and headed home.
The rest of the day was good. Mom, Dad and I sat and had sundowners and grilled some hamburgers buy the pool. The rest of the night was filled with the retelling of tales from the past, laughing, and smiles...
I miss this place, I need to get back here permanently..
Comments