Cowboys Like Us..

Well, we got skunked last night as far as the alligators go.. We spotted a couple of big ones but they developed an allergic reaction to us the closer we got to them.

Part of that surely had to do with the 20+ gunshots some redneck employee of the recreational area fired in rapid succession about 40 minutes after we had launched Wayne's boat. If you've never heard a bullet whine and whistle as it goes over your head you really are missing out on a thrill, trust me...

It caused us to turn off the navigation lights on the boat and sit tight for close to half an hour. Apparently, this asshole (although we can't prove he was the shooter) though he somehow owned the wildlife in the everglades hunting area we were in. That part became crystal clear when we approached the boat ramp that is located next to an airboat concession dock, as this shirtless Gomer started yelling at us about hunting "his" alligators. Nice.. We Ignored him, and figured the best thing to do just finish up our hunting and trailer the boat.. Well, Gomer decided to fire up an airboat and gun the engine to scare off any wildlife that might be nearby.. Cute..

We trailered the boat and started to get reday to head home when wayne tells me in a low voice, "I think that guy is walking down here, I can see him smoking a cigartette" ..

We were both now rather "annoyed", to put it mildly, and wondering if things were about to escalate.... I casually reached into the boat and retrieved my compound bow, with a fishing arrow already notched on the string and simply held it in my hands as wayne checked his new truck for any signs of vandalism. I never drew back the string, or even turned towards the guy but I guess he got the hint and vanished into the night back to his RV.

Neither of us were very happy as we pulled towards the exit of the park, especially when we pulled past this clown's little RV and he opened the door and glared at us.

I was a bit worried about Wayne.

If you ever were to meet him you would think he is the most charming, polite, and friendly man you could ever meet.. And he is, too.. But, he's also an accomplished "real world" martial artist, outdoorsman, marksman, ex-military, and could hand you your ass on a saltine cracker before your underwear ever even knew it was missing...

Let's just say that I'd never want to square off with him in a dark alley. And when he went silent and stopped the truck near the entrance it got my attention.

You see, when someone is shouting and hollering they are more than likely blowing off steam.. People in a rage are reckless people, they lash out, but that is about all they do. It's not too hard to subdue, or "coax" them into rational behavior. Sure they can cause damage and be pain in the ass, take few swings, etc, but once they get it out of their system they tend to calm down.

When someone goes silent its never a good thing. That usually indicates cold, calculating thoughts are being processed. We sat in silence and finished our cigarettes.. I glanced over and saw his eyes glint like obsidian in the glow of the dashboard lights as he took a final drag off his smoke and flicked it out the window.

"What do you want to do?" He asked me.

"I'm going to call Fish and Game when I get home.."

"That sounds like a good idea...."

He put it in drive, and we left. We both breathed a sigh of relief as we pulled onto the highway and headed home.

I went home and called up the local gentry to go to investigate. I guess It's true God protects fools and drunks... That guy has no clue how close he came to an Intensive Care Unit.

Comments

Robin said…
Oh my. My heart was actually pounding.

Oh -- small update in Cyberia

http://adventuresincyberia.blogspot.com/

It pales in comparison to YOUR weekend, but it's how I get my kicks ;)

This vegan thing sucks. Got any gator meat?
Windrider said…
Trust me Robin, mine was too. Having bullets fired in my general vacinity give me a mean case of hives..

Ohh! I need to go check on the cyber me!

The meat should be here this week! I cant wait!!