Thoughts..
Hey, 2 posts 2 days in a row... This must be a new record for me.
I just finished up an assignment for school here on my second midnight shift and figured I'd write. It beats watching some mindless movie. Besides my brain is moving too fast to just sit and stare at a tv screen.
I'm firmly convinced that we as human beings are regressing back to the state of behavior common in the great apes. Really. I say this not because I'm trying to be dramatic, but because i really believe it. I'm not sure what has caused this either. Maybe it has been the erosion of the nuclear family, or values, or stress, or the introduction of so much technology. But its happening, and happening rapidly. All you have to do is just look around you, and at the world as a whole.
The aggression level in most people is way up there, as is the level of intolerance. We all seem so damn quick to anger. Pause at a stoplight when it turns green and see how many seconds it takes for someone to lay on their horn. Road rage, and random violence is on the rise. Not just here in America but everywhere.
Just this afternoon I had just gotten into my jeep after leaving a store when the car next to me backs out of the parking space and stops cold, partially blocking the row. Two other cars had stopped and were waiting for the car to move. It was probably 10 seconds and car horns were blaring. I look and see a tiny little old lady, probably in the early 80's open the driver's side door and get out of the stopped vehicle. She looked bewildered and stressed. Meanwhile another car joined in with the car horn. I see the old woman go to the back of this honda accord and start to try to push it back into the parking slot! I immediately jumped out of the jeep and approached her, offering help.
Now, you would think that anyone with any decency seeing a frail little 80 year old trying to push a car would offer to help. Right? Not one damn person other than myself came to her assistance. These assholes just sat in their cars looking impatient . I had her get in the car and put it in neutral and started pushing her and the car forward into the slot. As I'm pushing, one little bastard actually taps on his horn again.
I get her into the space and and tell her to put it in park. She does, and all the while I'm staring down the teenager in his car. He does the prudent and safe thing and drives quickly away. The car was new and she had stalled it somehow. I make sure she's ok and get back in my jeep and go back home.
But the whole drive home I'm thinking to myself how shitty our society has become. 15 years ago every able bodied man would have come running to help. And now they just sit in their cars and watch someones great grandmother try to push her car in a parking lot. Sad, truly sad....
I know, what bummer topic. But hey, someones got to depress you first thing in the morning..
Later
I just finished up an assignment for school here on my second midnight shift and figured I'd write. It beats watching some mindless movie. Besides my brain is moving too fast to just sit and stare at a tv screen.
I'm firmly convinced that we as human beings are regressing back to the state of behavior common in the great apes. Really. I say this not because I'm trying to be dramatic, but because i really believe it. I'm not sure what has caused this either. Maybe it has been the erosion of the nuclear family, or values, or stress, or the introduction of so much technology. But its happening, and happening rapidly. All you have to do is just look around you, and at the world as a whole.
The aggression level in most people is way up there, as is the level of intolerance. We all seem so damn quick to anger. Pause at a stoplight when it turns green and see how many seconds it takes for someone to lay on their horn. Road rage, and random violence is on the rise. Not just here in America but everywhere.
Just this afternoon I had just gotten into my jeep after leaving a store when the car next to me backs out of the parking space and stops cold, partially blocking the row. Two other cars had stopped and were waiting for the car to move. It was probably 10 seconds and car horns were blaring. I look and see a tiny little old lady, probably in the early 80's open the driver's side door and get out of the stopped vehicle. She looked bewildered and stressed. Meanwhile another car joined in with the car horn. I see the old woman go to the back of this honda accord and start to try to push it back into the parking slot! I immediately jumped out of the jeep and approached her, offering help.
Now, you would think that anyone with any decency seeing a frail little 80 year old trying to push a car would offer to help. Right? Not one damn person other than myself came to her assistance. These assholes just sat in their cars looking impatient . I had her get in the car and put it in neutral and started pushing her and the car forward into the slot. As I'm pushing, one little bastard actually taps on his horn again.
I get her into the space and and tell her to put it in park. She does, and all the while I'm staring down the teenager in his car. He does the prudent and safe thing and drives quickly away. The car was new and she had stalled it somehow. I make sure she's ok and get back in my jeep and go back home.
But the whole drive home I'm thinking to myself how shitty our society has become. 15 years ago every able bodied man would have come running to help. And now they just sit in their cars and watch someones great grandmother try to push her car in a parking lot. Sad, truly sad....
I know, what bummer topic. But hey, someones got to depress you first thing in the morning..
Later
Comments
You demonstrated to all those a**es honking how to live one's values by example. People like you actually give me hope. What you did for that woman, I guarantee you, will not be forgotten by somebody at that scene--and maybe, just maybe, such kindness will reproduce thanks you you.
You are a good man, Windy. Don't lose faith in that or in all you can do, in the way you live, to change the world a piece at a time.
Be well.
Setting the right example to all the other "a$$hats"
Today my pic has been changed to Gilad Schlit as it is the two year anniversary of his kidnapping, all facebook, myspace and twitter users from Israel are doing the same.
I was just doing what was decent and right, and how my mother and father raised me.
But, I am touched that you both consider me a good man, really. And it truly mean that. Coming from two remarkable women like the both of you are, it is a great honor.
By the way, Mapi this is Leah. Leah I'd like to introduce you to Mapi ( also known as Mama Llama )
And Like you Leah, I put Gilad's picture up as my profile picture as well.
Windy
Baruch Hashem (thank G_d) for people like you Windy.
I am honored to meet you Mapi.
Dry those pretty eyes.. You're going to make grumpy old fat man misty eyed..