Moving 8 miles a minute, for months at a time...

I can't wait for next week to be over and done with...

Why?

Because my classes will both be over and I'll get a brief 2.5 week respite before having to charge back in there again. I've been busting my ass to get 4.0's in both of these. It probably isn't the healthiest thing, but I'm obsessed with the idea of taking High Honors when I graduate.

It's like an obsession. Nothing would make for a better ending to my undergraduate career, and also as a gesture to my parents than to be awarded the highest honor that can be bestowed upon me.

And shit, also as a personal "Woo Hoo". But, I still have 7 classes left and theres many a slip that could be made between now and then.

Overall, I guess I could say that I'm doing pretty fairly these days. Not great, but fair....I'm not looking forward to Christmas in the least. But I may have a plan for that. I'll just have to see how that goes. I probably have mentioned it, but I may head out to that little island that rests 13 miles out in the Glades and camp out there on Christmas Eve.

Somehow that seems like it would be a soothing thing. To be far away from people, and only surrounded by nature. I could sit and stoke a campfire, sip some whiskey from a tin cup, and listen to the Real World all around me. I couldn't tell you the last time I've spent the night sleeping on the ground surrounded buy wild things. Its magical. Those you you who have never experienced it have no idea what you are missing. Its like you get in sync with the inner you.

Most people are a bit scared by it. That has always puzzled me. I'd be far more scared sleeping in the city where man eaters walk on two legs, always prowling for another victim. There is no ulterior motive in nature. It is purity in and of its highest form. And for some reason, I understand it. It makes sense to me. Many things in the city and urban environment do not.

If I go will I take a firearm? Of Course... There are carnivorous reptiles out there! And I am a firm subscriber to the mantra of: "Its better to have it and not need it, that need it and not have it.."

But, much remains to be seen. I need to buy a tent, a sleeping bag, and a camp cook set. And probably a million other things. So, we'll see what transpires.

I'm just feeling the pull to get away from it all. To reconnect to the water, and sky, and earth away from people. I've been going too fast this year. Granted, I've made amazing progress but I also know the need to reconnect at the most basic level. I need to "re-zero" ( those of you whom have ever sighted in a scoped rifle will know what I'm talking about) , re-center, etc..

I need to sit and stare into a well made fire, look at the stars, and once again be out there in the wilderness. Dance around the fire, scream, shout, and feel the actual vibration of the long grass again...

We'll see.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your Island sounds perfect, can I come too?



Love you
Mama Llama said…
I think the personal "woo-hoo" is a most totally valid reason for doing just about anything, let alone TOTALLY excelling in a uni program

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!

Pulling for you...it WILL be over soon!

Hoping you get out to your personal paradise again soon...

Be well, Windy.
Windrider said…
Leah, of course you can come! If I go I'll be using a 6 person tent. Plenty of room for You, Curtis and myself.

I think you would really enjoy it.

Thank you Mapi! That means a lot coming from you. You know, for all the free time it eats up, I'm really enjoying being back in academia. It feels nice to stretch out my brain again.

Popular Posts