Here we go again...



Ah, another hurricane! I was having withdrawal symptoms from long gas lines, and morons in the grocery store who seem to think there will be no food for the next 3 months. All that New Orleans horse shit didn't help either. Now folks are doing their looting on mastercard, which in a way is a good thing I guess..

As for me, I have my obligatory gallon of vodka, canned food, and all the other things I didn't use when Katrina came over and forced me into a one night stand.

I apologize for my disappearing act for the last week or so. I've been busy hunting in the Everglades.

It's been interesting and quite educational so far. (much more than all this storm hassle)

I've learned a lot, such as:

- Everglades mosquitoes are different than any other type on the planet. If you are on water and stay away from the edges of the canals they won't bother you UNLESS you turn on a spotlight to check for "eyeshine" of alligators. At which time you better have cookies and juice handy to keep you from passing out from blood loss.

- Spraying "Deep Woods Off" all over your long sleeve pants and long sleeve shirt, and hat is as about as affective as using pondwater to keep said mosquitoes away and will in fact attract them. My Assistant Trapper and I went through a whole can in less than 4 hours..

- Alligators, although they literally have brains the size of an adult male's thumb are HIGHLY intelligent and evolved creatures that have a sense of smell that rivals a shark's, and can both see and hear BETTER than a cat. (really)

Anyone who says that isn't true can fly or drive down here and go into the Everglades with me on Wednesday night and I'll prove it.. (your dime, not mine)..

- Anyone who allows their children to swim near a boat ramp is a flat out idiot. That has to be the #1 place to get bitten in Florida due to the fact that fishermen throw bait and scrap fish out once they dock there at the end of the day. Alligators come to scavenge the food left there, and after dark anything that resembles food (small to medium dog sized sized objects) will stand a VERY good chance of being "tasted". ( this isn't the fault of the animal, but from man for allowing a food source to exist at that certain spot )

NOTE: Using bait- type meat (chicken size) I Literally harpooned an 8ft Alligator (who escaped ) within 10 feet from the ramp within 3 MINUTES of tossing it into the canal. Amazing...

- Chicken Livers, and Sardines are the equivalent of Crack to these things. It's like Tender Vittles for Dinosaurs. (unless they know you are there.. See below..)

- They are extremely elusive and shy once they dectect a human ( adult size ) in their area. My assistant trapper and I had a 10 foot gator stay 20 feet away from us at all times and never venture any closer than that no matter what bait/technique we used. I even waded, waist deep into the canal with a harpoon and had Wayne toss bait 10 feet in front of me in the water, and this old boy wouldn't even budge.

I had a limited egress point right behind me.. No, I don't have a death wish but, I believe in "Fair Play".. Equal risk for equal gain.. That's what big game hunting is all about for me..

In short, I have gained a lot of respect for these critters.

But, they taste really good deep fried as well...

Comments

Diane said…
Sounds like quite the adventure. Are you going back out?
Windrider said…
yes indeed lovely Diva..

tomorrow night i'm heading back out into the swamp. I hope the critters are hungry, and ready to give up the ghost.

otherwise i'l have to wait for 2 weeks and try it again..

Popular Posts