Thoughts on Thanksgiving Day....



Thanksgiving day 2007... Wow, this year has passed by so quickly. It seems like just yesterday it was April, and I was going on vacation after just ending my relationship of a year and a half with my ex.

So much has happened since the calendar read January 2007. Most of it has been rather unpleasant to be quite honest. This is definitely a year I wouldn't want to have to go through again. Many lows, and dark times surrounded me as I tried to come to grips with the breakup, and a myriad of other things that came my way. From financial troubles, car troubles, and hassles with work. You name it, it was probably happening at some point in time.

But despite all that I have a lot of things to be grateful for. I think each and every one of us do, it just takes looking at the big picture as a whole rather than the minute details.

What am I grateful for? Well, let's see:

  • I'm not cold, wet, or hungry.
  • I have a roof over my head in a safe neighborhood, and food in my cupboards to eat.
  • I have water that is safe to drink flowing from my tap.
  • I have clothes to wear, and shoes on my feet.
  • I have a vehicle that is going to be paid off in April after 5 years of suffering an almost 500 dollar a month payment.
  • I have a stable job.
  • I have good health , and health insurance.
  • My father's surgery went well, and he is healing quickly.
  • I am heading home to San Antonio next Friday to see my family and host my parents 50th wedding anniversary party. (While I'm home I'm going to see about the job that I've been chasing after and ask when the hiring freeze will be lifted.)
  • I am of sound mind.
  • I am loved.
  • I am maturing, and learning to be a friend to myself after years of being my own enemy.

Are things the way I want them right now? Not by a long shot... But, at the risk of sounding Pollyanna, things could be a hell of a lot worse.

I could be over in the middle east getting shot at, fearing for my life like a ton of military personnel are right now.

I could be homeless, penniless, and completely alone like many people are on this holiday.

I could be injured, or sick and dying in some lonely hospice, or hospital room.

But, I'm not... I'm sitting here at work earning double my normal hourly rate because it's a holiday, sipping water and typing on my computer. Like I said, it's all about perspective.

So, to all of you who read this, I wish for you a happy and safe Thanksgiving. May you be with those you love, and who love you. And take a few minutes to just sit and reflect on the good things you have in your life, because you do..

Peace

Comments

Mama Llama said…
Thanksgiving, indeed. It can be so hard to look beyond bleak and really see all we do have. Yet there are also so many who have never extended much beyond themselves to see how so many in the rest of the world, let alone here in the States, live. Thank you for bringing that to light.

I found you, likewise, through your comment left on the Professor's site. Be well, Windrider. I will check back, if I may.
Windrider said…
Hi,

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to come back whenever you like.

Yes, holidays can be very hard sometimes. This year for the first time in a long time, I am alone. It is providing me the perfect time to really contemplate my life, my inner self, and just being grateful for being alive.

I guess you could say I'm looking for enlightenment of self.

Be Well,

Windrider
Steph said…
Just found you through another blogger. Good stuff here! Excited to read more!

Hope you survived the madness of turkey and Black Friday shopping. Looking forward to your entries to come!
Gregory said…
Hey there. Long time no hear.

Glad to hear the surgery went well.

We're thankful for you, too.
Windrider said…
Hello Bee,

make yourself at home! welcome to miami, umm, or to me bitching about miami.. ( well, me bitching about everything most of the time..)


Catty!!

I apologize for the long absence at the casa de Catty! When I stopped by the other night so much had changed with you. I definately have some catching up to do.

Reading about you and Alternachef, I am so happy for you!!

May it be the one written in the stars for both of you..