The sky has fallen ...
I should have known better than to write the first sentence of my last post.. I'm quite certain by typing it I released the flood gates of Murphy's Fucking Law..
I haven't posted here in almost a month largely due to the fact that I have been running around trying to get things done in preparation to move back to Texas. But the last week and i half I just haven't had the heart to blog...
Why?
Well that's easy.. I had to go and get a physical for the new job and that was it. I was going to start packing, etc.. The physical went fine, and that afternoon I was going to call the person I had been dealing at the company in Texas and let him know that everything was done.
I was happy as I can remember being in a long time as I dialed the number on my cell phone, anticipating a great conversation and was already thinking of the myriad of tasks I had in front of me regarding the move. After all, this was IT! I was going to call my landlord and give him my one months move out notice, and start packing.
" Hi Mr. Corporate guy! This is Windrider. I just completed the physical and am ready to start packing!"
"Hi Windrider, I'm glad you called..." I could tell from the lack of enthusiasm in his voice something was amiss.
He continued, " I have some bad news.. Last night corporate headquarters instituted a hiring freeze...."
My heart dropped into my shoes and I could feel my stomach physically tighten into a ball.. I was stunned, I was pissed, I was distraught, I wanted to reach through the phone and do violence upon this man, I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream.... But, I kept my composure and asked why it had happened and what this meant for me.. Was it just going to be a delay, or was this a "sorry, we can't ever hire you because we're douchebags.."???!
He basically said that he should know something by the first of the year...
"Well, that's fucking great you asshole!!" I was thinking.. I mean, here I am in Miami jumping thru hoops, and just about to start packing, turn in my notice, and uproot my entire life and all of the sudden it just goes away like a puff of smoke.
Sigh.............
So, all I can do is sit and wait. Just like I've been doing for the last 4 years.. It may still happen in a month or two, I just don't know. But I sure know that this has taken all the magic, and excitement out of the deal.
I haven't posted here in almost a month largely due to the fact that I have been running around trying to get things done in preparation to move back to Texas. But the last week and i half I just haven't had the heart to blog...
Why?
Well that's easy.. I had to go and get a physical for the new job and that was it. I was going to start packing, etc.. The physical went fine, and that afternoon I was going to call the person I had been dealing at the company in Texas and let him know that everything was done.
I was happy as I can remember being in a long time as I dialed the number on my cell phone, anticipating a great conversation and was already thinking of the myriad of tasks I had in front of me regarding the move. After all, this was IT! I was going to call my landlord and give him my one months move out notice, and start packing.
" Hi Mr. Corporate guy! This is Windrider. I just completed the physical and am ready to start packing!"
"Hi Windrider, I'm glad you called..." I could tell from the lack of enthusiasm in his voice something was amiss.
He continued, " I have some bad news.. Last night corporate headquarters instituted a hiring freeze...."
My heart dropped into my shoes and I could feel my stomach physically tighten into a ball.. I was stunned, I was pissed, I was distraught, I wanted to reach through the phone and do violence upon this man, I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream.... But, I kept my composure and asked why it had happened and what this meant for me.. Was it just going to be a delay, or was this a "sorry, we can't ever hire you because we're douchebags.."???!
He basically said that he should know something by the first of the year...
"Well, that's fucking great you asshole!!" I was thinking.. I mean, here I am in Miami jumping thru hoops, and just about to start packing, turn in my notice, and uproot my entire life and all of the sudden it just goes away like a puff of smoke.
Sigh.............
So, all I can do is sit and wait. Just like I've been doing for the last 4 years.. It may still happen in a month or two, I just don't know. But I sure know that this has taken all the magic, and excitement out of the deal.
Comments
I stepped back and though about it for a while ( few days) after it happened, and I realized that this guy wasn't personally to blame.
It was a corporate decision, not his. And it wasn't like they specifically said "we are never going to hire you ", it was simply a "we can't hire you right now"
So, I did the professional thing and kept the stiff upper lip. I'm hoping that i hear some positive information in the next month or so.
Granted, If i had moved back home, spent the money to move, and given up a federal career only to be told at the front door "sorry"...
Um, I would have sued the fuckers to the moon and back..
Thank you for your comment to me today. It was very kind and very helpful to me.
I had been unaware of your site, but I shall return and read more of the essays you have posted. I hope the job/moving situation works out in a way that is at least acceptable for you.
PipeTobacco
I hope your job situation ends well. I've been in that position before and it isn't a fun place to be.
Welcome to my humble internet abode! ( albeit vulgar at times )I'm glad you stopped buy. I'm even more glad that my comment helped.
I know you and Andrew had been aquaintences for a long time, and his treatment of you was in my opinion totally uncalled for. (mental illness or not)
He had mentioned some of my comments in a round about way a month or two ago. If you aren't a member of the "mutual admiration society" it seems that your comments are neither required or desired.
I have no time for any of that...
In my opinion, if you have a blog and don't want comments that might actually not agree with everything you say, either don't put all of your personal business out there, or make the blog private. Or better yet, disable comments altogether.
Feel free to stop by here anytime.
Hi Zirelda,
thank you for the kind words about my comment on PipeTobbaco's (herein referred to as "PT" ) blog..
I simply can't stand it when someone is being scapegoated, and insulted.
Of all of the people's comments on Andrew's blog, I often thought that his were the the most considerate and appropriate. PT never mollycoddled him, or told him what he wanted to hear which I respected. (Unlike most of his (Andrew's)readership, who baby him.)
To see Andrew villify PT just turned my stomach.
Feel free to stop back by anytime.
And thanks to both you you for the good thoughts about the job situation. I hope it turns around soon.
Windrider