Wow, it's been a while....

To whatever readership I used to have I have to say "i'm sorry".. Life happens.

I can honestly say that its been a hell of a few months for me. Things have cooled out, and I am greatful for that in a big way. I've still been here and reading blogs but for some reason I've just been utterly silent. It just wasn't in me to type anything... Every time I tried to post I just wound up deleting it and surfing the net, i'm not too sure why.

Well, I finally (as of last sunday ) got the hell out of that roommate situation I mentioned below. Thank GOD!!! I was absolutely at wits end with the whole situation: The pot smoking, the deadbeat ex-boyfriend that moved in with her while I was there, the two smelly, destructive dogs, the ROACH problem.. Jesus, it was like living in the fucking projects!! That place was like a damned flop house 99% of the time.. I'm so glad that's over with.

I bet you're wondering: "why in the hell didn't you just split immediately, then?!" And thats a pretty damned valid question. The answer is that I had to hunt high and low to find somewhere that was reasonable as far as rent goes without putting myself in the poorhouse.. The average rent for a decent 1/1 ( translate that to mean safe, english speaking, and with a conspicuous absence of homeless, crackheads, and gang bangers ) is 900 to 1300 a month here in south florida. I make close to 50k a year, and that rent when added to a car payment, electric, insurance, food, gas, and phone and then deducted from what I take home after taxes and health insurance leaves practically NOTHING left over.... So, some careful selection, alot of searching and some sober thought had to go into my decision.

Not to mention the first, last, security deposit, application fee ( 100 dollars, non-refundable seems to be the standard here ) and last but not least moving expenses totalled well over $3000. All of which came directly out of my pocket...

BUT, the good news is that I am a very lucky boy. I found a very nice, spacious 1/1 for 950 a month within walking distance of the GF's house and the gym I have a membership at! Its very peaceful and quiet and I absolutely love it. I signed a 1 year lease, so I'll at least have a stable year. The owner wants to sell it to me, but (hold your breath!!!) $175,000.00 for a 900 sq ft apartment ( the common cost for one here in shitty south florida ) with no washer and dryer in it... Ummm... Don't think so!!!

My job is basically the same grind as always. Same people, same politics, same shitty pay.. Well, shitty pay for here, if I were back home in Texas I'd be doing simply capital. I figure I'll be here for another 2.5 to three years unless the unthinkable happens and the actually send me somewhere I want to go. But, I'd have better odds of monkeys flying out of my butt that that happening...

I should start my prereqs for nursing school in january. I'm actually looking forward to heading back to school, although I'm sure I'll be the oldest one there ( 36, and never been kissed ) I think I have 9 classes before I can apply for N school, and then its off to the races. As soon as I graduate I'll be heading back to TX. I've had enough of florida for one lifetime.. Depending on how things go with GF, she may come to TX with me. Thats a nice thought, but well see how things go... I guess I'm a pessimist..

Comments

Robin said…
I'm just glad you're back! I really missed you 'round these parts!
Windrider said…
Hey there Bug! I've missed ya. things are leveling out here and I should be posting here a lot more. (hopefully some pics too..)
Windrider said…
Thanks Mike!

I probably wouldn't have thought about it if my GF wasn't a nurse. The opportunities are incredible in that career field. I was floored to hear that I could be hired anywhere I wanted to live in a matter of days. Man, thats a huge difference from the Govt. job I have now where getting tranferred can take years.

Popular Posts