The Latest...
This week has been a bit odd.. For one, its felt like a month not a week. I think I need some R&R. (either that or copius amounts of vodka and olives)
I figure the posts will be on a bi weekly basis until I get internet at the casa. See, I use my personal laptop at work to surf the net via a dail up account I've kept around as a backup for when my old DSL would crap out on me. (which was quite often when I lived at the aprartments of the columbian drug lords..) The problem is that during most of the day I have coworkers within a few feet of me and I don't ever want those asshats to find out about this blog. So, I either wait until my midnight shift (tonight) or when I only am working with one other person and can make sure nobody is looking over my shoulder.
My folks know about this blog but don't visit it. My mom says it would be like reading someones diary. The GF has never seen it, and doesn't want to. She doesn't understand why I blog, and not having her read it is fine by me. I don't like censoring myself or what I want to say so I keep this to myself. I'm sure someday someone I know will find this place but I've taken alot of steps to keep my identity hidden. I have to say I admire people who can "let it all hang out" and use their real names, say where they work, etc. But I ain't one of em...
This week, one of the bloggers I read regularly went "off the air". N2D33P aka Mike is making a huge move to another city and state after living in the same area all his life. He's gotten rid of most of his posessions, quit his job, and is heading into the unknown. That takes ALOT of guts, man!! I remember the times I did it and can only compare it to walking on a high wire without a net. Its terrifying and exhillerating at the same time.
But something about his blog going away bothers me....
I've never met mike in person but I sort of feel like I've gotten to know him a little bit as we've read about each others lives. About 2 days ago Mike posted a very eloquent and well written farewell post to people that had been apart of his life for all of those years. You could really feel the heartfelt emotion in the sentiments he wrote, and it made me both happy and sad for him at the same time. It's a bittersweet thing, the ending of a chapter in your life and I know that all to well. As it turns out, a person ( and I use that term lightly ) that HAD been a former friend of Mike's used his comment section to basically leave 4 super long comments that were the most downright insulting, shitty, demeaning, accusitory things I've ever seen since I've been blogging. This prick even went so far as to insult everyone who were readers of Mike's blog calling us "joe schmucks", "dr. phils", and so on... I fought the urge to go off this person and simply wished Mike well and asked him to stay in touch. A few hours later I returned to his blog to see if any other well wishers had stopped by. A couple had, as well as the former friend who continued to rail on Mike as well as other commenters..
Remember that urge I was talking about fighting earlier?
Well, I didn't fight it any longer and went off on this guy calling him an "insufferable assclown".. I was just really pissed that this guy would try to kick sand in Mike's face as he was leaving, as well as insulting the readership.
I logged off the computer for the day and the following morning I log back on and see that Mike has turned off the comment section of his blog and I immediately felt bad about going off on the guy, not because he didn't deserve it but because it really wasn't my place and probably made things worse. Mike has since deleted his blog..
So Mike If you read this, I'm sorry for doing that in your comment section. It wasn't my place to go off on the guy. I just get protective of my blogger friends. Stay in touch, and here's wishing you all the best in your new venue...
Ok, on a "holy shit! this is fucking bizzare!!" moment:
I started thinking about my best friend during basic training in the Army, so I google is name on a whim.
I click on the first link, and theres a picture of none other than Jim grinning like a possum eatin' a sweet potato! I couldn't flipping believe it! It was on a page of one of his friends blogs of all things.. (shit, who says blogs arent good for something!?) Well, I waste no time emailing the friend and tell him who I am and how I know jimbo and to please give him my address. I havent heard anything yet, but cant wait to talk to him again.
Shit, I haven't seen Jim since december of 1996 at 0230. We went thru basic training together, and then both went to AIT at Ft Rucker. His MOS (military occupational specialty) school was shorter than mine so he split to his first assignment at Ft. Riley 5 months before I shipped out headed for Korea.. Man, the crazy assed times we had!!! (not to mention all the brain cells we killed on weekend passes ) ..
Its a small world, I swear..
I figure the posts will be on a bi weekly basis until I get internet at the casa. See, I use my personal laptop at work to surf the net via a dail up account I've kept around as a backup for when my old DSL would crap out on me. (which was quite often when I lived at the aprartments of the columbian drug lords..) The problem is that during most of the day I have coworkers within a few feet of me and I don't ever want those asshats to find out about this blog. So, I either wait until my midnight shift (tonight) or when I only am working with one other person and can make sure nobody is looking over my shoulder.
My folks know about this blog but don't visit it. My mom says it would be like reading someones diary. The GF has never seen it, and doesn't want to. She doesn't understand why I blog, and not having her read it is fine by me. I don't like censoring myself or what I want to say so I keep this to myself. I'm sure someday someone I know will find this place but I've taken alot of steps to keep my identity hidden. I have to say I admire people who can "let it all hang out" and use their real names, say where they work, etc. But I ain't one of em...
This week, one of the bloggers I read regularly went "off the air". N2D33P aka Mike is making a huge move to another city and state after living in the same area all his life. He's gotten rid of most of his posessions, quit his job, and is heading into the unknown. That takes ALOT of guts, man!! I remember the times I did it and can only compare it to walking on a high wire without a net. Its terrifying and exhillerating at the same time.
But something about his blog going away bothers me....
I've never met mike in person but I sort of feel like I've gotten to know him a little bit as we've read about each others lives. About 2 days ago Mike posted a very eloquent and well written farewell post to people that had been apart of his life for all of those years. You could really feel the heartfelt emotion in the sentiments he wrote, and it made me both happy and sad for him at the same time. It's a bittersweet thing, the ending of a chapter in your life and I know that all to well. As it turns out, a person ( and I use that term lightly ) that HAD been a former friend of Mike's used his comment section to basically leave 4 super long comments that were the most downright insulting, shitty, demeaning, accusitory things I've ever seen since I've been blogging. This prick even went so far as to insult everyone who were readers of Mike's blog calling us "joe schmucks", "dr. phils", and so on... I fought the urge to go off this person and simply wished Mike well and asked him to stay in touch. A few hours later I returned to his blog to see if any other well wishers had stopped by. A couple had, as well as the former friend who continued to rail on Mike as well as other commenters..
Remember that urge I was talking about fighting earlier?
Well, I didn't fight it any longer and went off on this guy calling him an "insufferable assclown".. I was just really pissed that this guy would try to kick sand in Mike's face as he was leaving, as well as insulting the readership.
I logged off the computer for the day and the following morning I log back on and see that Mike has turned off the comment section of his blog and I immediately felt bad about going off on the guy, not because he didn't deserve it but because it really wasn't my place and probably made things worse. Mike has since deleted his blog..
So Mike If you read this, I'm sorry for doing that in your comment section. It wasn't my place to go off on the guy. I just get protective of my blogger friends. Stay in touch, and here's wishing you all the best in your new venue...
Ok, on a "holy shit! this is fucking bizzare!!" moment:
I started thinking about my best friend during basic training in the Army, so I google is name on a whim.
I click on the first link, and theres a picture of none other than Jim grinning like a possum eatin' a sweet potato! I couldn't flipping believe it! It was on a page of one of his friends blogs of all things.. (shit, who says blogs arent good for something!?) Well, I waste no time emailing the friend and tell him who I am and how I know jimbo and to please give him my address. I havent heard anything yet, but cant wait to talk to him again.
Shit, I haven't seen Jim since december of 1996 at 0230. We went thru basic training together, and then both went to AIT at Ft Rucker. His MOS (military occupational specialty) school was shorter than mine so he split to his first assignment at Ft. Riley 5 months before I shipped out headed for Korea.. Man, the crazy assed times we had!!! (not to mention all the brain cells we killed on weekend passes ) ..
Its a small world, I swear..
Comments
I think that what you're doing is going to benefit you in ways you can't even imagine. You'll always look back at where you came from, but you'll never let it hold you back.
Here's to your new beginning!! (raises glass)