I wanna go home to the armadillo...

Well, one more midnight shift (tonight) and I leave tomorrow morning to fly back to my hometown of San Antonio for a week to celebrate my mothers ( and girlfriend's ) birthday..
This should be interesting.. I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about the trip for a few reasons:
- my girlfriend is meeting my parents for the first time, we're staying at my parents house, and she's practically phobic of flying. Nah, no stress there..
- My dad's spinal condition has worsened and I'm scared about how bad it is. Family always glosses over the bad stuff, and the phone call from my older brother today giving me a heads up that I should "be prepared" didn't really do too much to calm the old nerves. Let's just say I can see a walker, or motorized chair in his future in the next few years.
- For the first time in my life I'm aware of my own mortality, and my family's.. I can see all of us aging so quickly, and wonder how many years we'll all have left together before one of us sheds the mortal coil. It scares me to think of losing one of them..
I know, I'm being morbid.. I should just be greatful for the time we can spend together, but it nags at me.. I guess the worst part is that I'm stuck here in florida and I can't see them as often as I want too. I can only get back twice a year tops. It makes me feel guilty.
Man, I need to shake this off. It's supposed to be a vacation. I'm supposed to sip martini's and laugh, and relax.
I sure hope I can do that..
Comments