Mosquitos, Monsoons, and Martinis

Well, the hurricane/monsoon season is upon us in full force here in the Republic of El Florida. And by full force, I truly mean full force. I hasn't stopped raining in the afternoons, and mid morning, and late night for at least two weeks here.



Everything is moldy, soggy, squishy, and stinky. The humidity hasn't been below 80 percent in probably over a month. Couple that with temperatures in the high 80's mid 90's and you have the equivalent of a steam room to walk around in outside. Forget about not sweating. A simple stroll to the mailbox will leave you covered in a sheen of perspiration. Outdoor activities are misery.



Top top it all off, the mosquitoes have had a major hatch out here in the Everglades. Big, quarter sized south American "zebra" mosquitoes are attendance by the millions. You don't dare walk through ankle high grass, even with DEET on unless you want to donate blood. And trust me when I say that this is no exaggeration. A few days ago I was attempting to get the lawn tractor working properly and was slathered from head to toe in 100% DEET repellent and was attacked so continuously by the blood suckers that i just said "Screw This!!" and went inside. Hey, I've marched through my share of the bastards when it was needed but that's different. I'm not going to suffer it for the damn lawnmower!! The big problem is the massive amounts of standing water here. Yards and pastures have turned into lakes ( literally ) and thus huge breeding environments for the insects, specifically mosquitoes. Yes folks, it is "stay inside in the A/C unless you have to go out time.



I got through a 2 midterms and an oral presentation this week. I have 3 more papers to complete in the next 4 weeks and then the semester will be over. But man, has this one taken it out of me.. I'm exhausted most of the time. I swear I could sleep for 24 hours solid if given the chance. Unfortunately, there truly is no rest for the wicked. I have tons of things to get done in the next month.

I'm going to look at a rental property next Thursday. It's a lot farther north than I would like, but I really need to get out of here in the next 30 to 45 days. I've just had enough of my current living situation. There are a couple more that I'm going to look at as well that are a bit closer. I need to have something that I can store the boat at, otherwise I'll have to pay around 140 dollars per month for a storage fee. And that ain't too cool.. Besides, I want a HOUSE again! All to myself, no flipping roommate to deal with. Just ME.. I've become a cranky, old, loner in my old age. I just can't be asked to suffer anyone else in my daily living space anymore.

Well, I better go. I have a number of things to do besides sitting here typing on this old blog.

Comments

Mama Llama said…
Lots of stuff to complete, in not the greatest conditions. I almost feel bad that we have great weather here--unheard of in July.

Thinking of you this 4th and wishing you the best.

Popular Posts