The Rumors of my Demise are Greatly Exaggerated..
Man, what a shitty 2 weeks this has been! Who needs to travel to remote third world countries when Wilma brought all of the fun with her?
My power and phone came on a few days ago but I've been busy with work, navigating the crappy streets, and having all sorts of interesting things happen to me.. (lucky me..)
The only damage I received was a blown in living room window ( while I was standing in front of it no less ) , some water damage, and a few other broken things. But, the car is fine, and I am too.
I've learned the following things:
- Chef Boyardee of any type is one of the best things you can stock your pantry with for survival food.. ( MRE's are the absolute best thing to have, hands down.) And damn tasty to boot.
- Always having a few hundred dollars in small denominations in a safe place is absolutely essential. When ATM's and credit card systems are down it's the ONLY way to get things you need besides using a gun.
- The ONLY flashlights I will ever use again will be L.E.D. ( light emitting diode ) . 50 solid hours on one set of double A batteries is incredible.
- There will always be 2 or more oil lamps in my house with a supply of oil. I can't tell you how well these things work, or how nice they are to use rather than candles.
- the $100 survival water filter was worth every penny I paid for it. So were the 12 rolls of charmin toilet paper I had stashed in the closet.
- ALWAYS keep your gas tank full, and if possible carry 5 gallons in an approved container INSIDE the vehicle, as well as a siphon. ( the gas lines here were LITERALLY miles long, and the average wait was over 3 hours for the first 3 days after the storm.
- I will always keep powdered milk, plastic cutlery, and paper plates, and cups in my house.
- generators are a waste of time unless you have kids, or don't have enough canned goods on hand to make it for 4 days. ( and getting fuel for them is a big pain in the arse. )
- everything goes better with a glass of Captain Morgan's, even warm..
-Most people are complete idiots in a crisis, and do/say/buy the dumbest shit imaginable. Granted I've had quite a bit of survival training, so I guess I'm a bit jaded in that regard.
and most of all:
I HATE FLORIDA WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING! Why anyone would voluntarily live here blows my mind.
But other than that, I'm doing just fine...
My power and phone came on a few days ago but I've been busy with work, navigating the crappy streets, and having all sorts of interesting things happen to me.. (lucky me..)
The only damage I received was a blown in living room window ( while I was standing in front of it no less ) , some water damage, and a few other broken things. But, the car is fine, and I am too.
I've learned the following things:
- Chef Boyardee of any type is one of the best things you can stock your pantry with for survival food.. ( MRE's are the absolute best thing to have, hands down.) And damn tasty to boot.
- Always having a few hundred dollars in small denominations in a safe place is absolutely essential. When ATM's and credit card systems are down it's the ONLY way to get things you need besides using a gun.
- The ONLY flashlights I will ever use again will be L.E.D. ( light emitting diode ) . 50 solid hours on one set of double A batteries is incredible.
- There will always be 2 or more oil lamps in my house with a supply of oil. I can't tell you how well these things work, or how nice they are to use rather than candles.
- the $100 survival water filter was worth every penny I paid for it. So were the 12 rolls of charmin toilet paper I had stashed in the closet.
- ALWAYS keep your gas tank full, and if possible carry 5 gallons in an approved container INSIDE the vehicle, as well as a siphon. ( the gas lines here were LITERALLY miles long, and the average wait was over 3 hours for the first 3 days after the storm.
- I will always keep powdered milk, plastic cutlery, and paper plates, and cups in my house.
- generators are a waste of time unless you have kids, or don't have enough canned goods on hand to make it for 4 days. ( and getting fuel for them is a big pain in the arse. )
- everything goes better with a glass of Captain Morgan's, even warm..
-Most people are complete idiots in a crisis, and do/say/buy the dumbest shit imaginable. Granted I've had quite a bit of survival training, so I guess I'm a bit jaded in that regard.
and most of all:
I HATE FLORIDA WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING! Why anyone would voluntarily live here blows my mind.
But other than that, I'm doing just fine...
Comments
http://adventuresincyberia.blogspot.com/